Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Abiding in Christ


There are many books, articles and conferences that deal with discipleship.  With all the vast amount of information available, I realize that, I still have much to learn in regards to discipleship.  As I look at Jesus and how He developed His disciples I see six marks that indicate a true disciple or follower of Christ.  Here is my list.

1.     Places Jesus above everything else (Lk 14:26)
2.     Deny's himself and carries his cross (Lk 14:27)
3.     Is willing to give up everything for Jesus (Lk 14:33)
4.     Loves like Christ loved (Jn 13:34)
5.     Bears much fruit (Jn 15:8)
6.     Abides in Christ (Jn 8:31)

Victory over sin is possible as we abide in Christ, but before we can realize that victory, we have to first understand what abiding in Christ means.  The word abide in the original language has several meanings and occurs in the context of remaining in a certain location, enduring or waiting, and remain as one.

Abiding or waiting in a certain location takes intentionality.  In our hurried lives, many find it difficult to remain still let alone remain in one location for a prolonged period of time.  As disciples if our desire is to grow in Christ then we have to be intentional about consistently remaining in God’s word.  God’s word is the life source for the believer and without it we are starving ourselves.  No one starves themselves Monday through Saturday and then gorges themselves on Sunday, so why is it that we do this with our spirits?

We starve our souls through out the week as we neglect to feast on God’s word.  We then take our ravenous souls to Sunday service to gorge on whatever morsel of God's Word we may be given.  It is no wonder why many Christians feel that their faith is week.

Are you starving your soul or are you feasting on God's word?

1 comment:

  1. I do my best to get into my Word on a daily basis, which happens more often than not. I struggle with consistency with being still. I really need the Spirit to help me in this area of my life.

    ReplyDelete